Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Q: To Agamemnon, or Not to Agamemnon?

A: Not to Agamemnon.


A thought came up the last time I sat down (after several previous failures) to write the Topics post for Agamemnon.  I’d been having problems getting started and it was starting to piss me off.  That thought is this: 
What the hell is wrong with you, this is your own goddamn blog, you can write what you want, and anyway, you warned them you’d write about whatever in the first post, so screw Agamemnon and start in on the technical stuff you’ve been thinking about since you started reading.
But seriously.  I don’t really have anything to contribute to the 2,500 year-old discourse - I agree with what I’ve read.  And frankly, it’s a straightforward play.  Sure, themes of entanglement, justice, blah blah.  Language, influence, chorus, blah blah blah.  Don’t care.  I did my library research, but in the end found nothing that brought a question to my mind; something that I wanted or needed to hash out in the realm of public opinion.  And since research (of the formal variety) is not something that the blog is focusing on right now, putting together what would amount to research papers in something I have no pressing intellectual interest in just didn’t sound appealing.  Which brings me to my next sentence.
Instead, I plan on following up today’s post with a different/related subject I’ve been pondering:  Summary v. Synopsis v. Analysis and Their Uses.
So just hang onto your Agamemnon Helmets, those crazy cats will be back in:
Round 1: Atreus V. Manon!

This concludes my first paper about a topic.*

*In case you missed it, it being so brief and all, the topic was “if the ideas aren’t flowing.”


Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment