Thursday, June 17, 2010

Summary v. Synopsis v. Analysis

My idea for this blog was nebulous at best - read play, post about play.  So I eventually got to the point while writing my first play post where I had to ask myself: how much is too much, and what kind of information is more important?  What do I focus on in this blog?




First some definitions:


summary |ˈsəmərē|noun ( pl. -ries)a brief statement or account of the main points of something
synopsis |səˈnäpsis|noun ( pl. -ses |-ˌsēz|)a brief summary or general survey of something a synopsis of the accident.• an outline of the plot of a book, play, movie, or episode of a television show.
analysis |əˈnaləsis|noun ( pl. -ses |-ˌsēz|)detailed examination of the elements or structure of something, typically as a basis for discussion or interpretation
But the amount and kind of information really depends on two independent factors, only one of which I know with any certainty.  The other I make stabbing motions at.
1.  What do I want from the blog?2.  What does my audience want from the blog?  Wait, who is my audience?
Answering these questions in turn:
1.  I want to read plays again and think critically about them and other theatre issues, posing questions or ideas I find interesting and maybe generate some discussion.2.  Um... students?  Casual readers?  People who like talking about plays but don't have time to read them front to back?  High-level wall street executives who have realized that without art their vacuous, semi-ethical life has no real meaning (besides their closet Reagan shrine, of course)?  I have no idea.  The format of the blog will probably change based on what this answer eventually morphs into.
But fortunately, excepting Mr. Daytrader, I've been the other three.  And what did I find myself doing for three semesters of Theatre Lit/History?  Writing papers about plays I was assigned - whether I read them or not (to be fair, I usually did).  And man, there were times when I was flying by the seat of my pants, depending on my previous high marks to get Dr. Dennis to overlook some shoddily composed essay, full of half-baked ideas and Plot Rehashing masquerading as Critical Thought to flesh it out and Personal Style to fill in the Huge Gaps.  It was stressful if the whole class was struggling with a piece, with no larger community to draw on.  
Basically, what I'm saying is that I could have used a leg up from someone that's not writing cliff's notes or the like, someone closer to my age who's both enthusiastic and willing to talk about plays and help me develop some of my more asinine Half Baked Ideas into actual Critical thought.
Clear Solution: Analysis
But! What does a casual reader need in order to talk about the play intelligently?  Analysis never hurts, but they probably just need something to boost their memory - like a short summary.  As a presumed Older Person they have more life experience and as a Casual Reader they read a variety of books/genres.  I imagine they are relatively older, reading in their spare time and therefore for pleasure.  They can take their time, both reading and thinking.  Lucky bastards.
Clear Solution: Summary
But!!  What about our busy reader bees who like to talk about plays, but don't have the time to read it in time to get in on the conversation (although with comments + internet that is less of a problem) or who read it years ago and remember having Grand Thoughts but dangnabit the HELL was that scene in the third act that I loved so much?!  They would benefit from a more detailed Synopsis, full of action and consequence, triggers and heaps.  This might be my most important demo in terms of analysis - it implies seasoned, intelligent readers who have developed a long-term relationship with the theatre, whether they're in the industry or simply an enthusiast.
Clear Solution: Synopsis
So. I started out the post saying I was going to focus on Analysis with synopsis playing a supporting role and no summary at all.  However, I just convinced myself that I actually DO need all three, using them for different purposes.  SURPRISE!  The things you learn.  And this is why you write!
Answering my questions, specifically:  I can't have too much - each supports the weight of the others.  And I'll have to focus on maintaining that balance.
Huh.  That was easy.
See you tomorrow folks, with Mr. Eugene O'Neill making his grand entrance as we embark on Mourning Becomes Electra!
Ben

2 comments: